John Mayer at the Hollywood Bowl Sunday, Aug. 23
Finally beautiful weather here in Southern California….perfect for a John Mayer concert at the Hollywood Bowl!
Sunday afternoon at the outdoor venue….
into the evening with a full moon shining down on the packed house of Mayer fans.
Any local will tell you that this is one of the best, – if not THE BEST – Los Angeles attractions. When you visit Tinseltown, use all the resources possible to get a ticket…Stub Hub and Craig’s List are good options if tickets are sold out. The Bowl is home to the Los Angeles Philharmonic, but there are other artists’ concerts sprinkled throughout the season which runs June -Oct.
Make sure you picnic before hand to dine under the stars – that is part of the whole amazing experience. if you bring alcohol, get there early to sit on the grass outside, otherwise you’ll be relegated to pavement! No alcohol is allowed to be brought in the theater. Otherwise you can bring in your dinner and eat at your seats – buying your beer, wine, or even sangria once inside – but it’s pricey – one beer costs $9.00! There is also a quaint restaurant at the Bowl…or you can order at least 24 hours in advance for the Bowl catering service (Patina restaurant – one of LA”s finest) to pack you a picnic.
Parking and traffic are still the biggest problems – another reason to get there early.
There are other outdoor venues throughout the country that are still operating through September, since most places still have nice weather. Check them out if you are traveling to these destinations!
Here is a list of the Top 10 outdoor concert venues in America….(there are other lists out there but I agree most with this one.)
1) The Gorge, George Washinton – right on the Columbia River
2) Charter One Pavilion – Northerly Island, Chicago, Ill.
3) Red Rocks Amphitheater – Morrison, Colo. (On another note – look into the Moab, Utah Music festival every Labor Day weekend. A 40 minute boat ride takes you down the Colorado River into a cavernous red rock grotto where a grand piano and symphone awaits you to perform in the red rock cave. Nothing short of amazing.)
4) The Backyard at the Bee Cave – Austin, Texas
5) Hollywood Bowl, Hollywood, CA
6) The Greek – Berkeley, CA
7) Summer Stages – Central Park, NY
8) Bands on the Beach – Pensacola FL
9) Dallas Cowboy Stadium, Dallas, TX
10) Shoreline Amphitheater, Mountain View, CA
BONUS: John Mayer is scheduled to appear at two of the above locations in the next couple of weeks – Aug. 28 at the Gorge… Sept. 1 at the Red Rocks Amphitheater in Colorado..He’s in Irvine, CA tonight. He has more of a bad boy edge than the last time I saw him, which brings even more electricity to his performance. Gotta go download his “Stop This Train” right now…
For more http://music-tours.suite101.com/article.cfm/the-top-ten-outdoor-concert-venues